Thursday, March 10, 2011

Semolina Bread - Is it the perfect loaf?

Well, is it? I don't think I can quite say, but I know it's damn near close. Ian said it was the best bread he'd had, in passing, and in a lot of ways I'm inclined to believe him. This is a wonderful bread - it takes on savory and sweet with equal and undivided acceptance, and is pretty much the best thing in the world covered in butter or honey or both. Not to mention that it's bright yellow, which makes everything better. I want walls the color of the inside of this bread. And it's springy like nobody's business - you cannot get this bread down. Moist and springy. Just perfect.

This after I made it last night, and experienced the tragic failed hope of promised, but undelivered, oven spring, upon which my countenance took a decided turn toward the depressed. Two loaves destroyed in one day. Two. I felt like such a failure. I had followed the recipe to the T, and just like all the other things I've made in my oven, the loaf barely sprung at all, despite its reputation as an extraordinarily oven-springy bread. So I went to bed depressed.

Well, in the morning I had two slices of the bread, one with butter, the other with honey. Oh my dear sweet gods. I have not had a more perfect bread. It is nutty and flavorful and squishy and bouncy and lively...it's like eating a little piece of Robin Goodfellow. Probably his ear. I dunno. So Good. Here is the link to the recipe:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/4213/semolina-sandwich-loaf

The only situation in which you should not make this bread is if you do not like nice things. BAKE! NOW!!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment