Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kiva!

Okay. I know that only about three people read this (hi Sarah! Hey Jules! Illowillowbillowpillow! And of course, hi Mom. Okay, I guess that's four, whatever) but still, this is important!

I was reading KinokoFry, one of my favorite webcomics, in an attempt to get away from the travailles of Latin for a while. She's good at reminding me that I'm not the only person in the world, and that there's a whole bunch of people out there whose money problems do not center around whether they should pay $75 to fix their stupid hair. She has a lot of series of comics, one that is just silly, one that is about her life and silly, and then two that are more serious: one about ways we can be more sustainable, and one called "The Donation Project."

Inspired by her message, I gave this morning: I donated $25 to a group of women who make sombrero hats and sell them to keep their kids in school and their families in food. I feel kind of giddy, and very happy. And I know I'll get it back sometime, though I don't really care if I do - Kiva, in case you don't know, is a lending business, where people ask for loans and then a lot of other people give a fraction of that and it all adds up.

So now I feel a lot better about life. Though I still need to fight Virgil to the death, that bitch of a good poet, and at some point today I'm going to get my ass out of Vancouver and head to my grandparents' house to see my dad. Aaaugh so busy aaaugh.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment