Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Latin for your Amusement, and Split-Things Curry

I have to memorize a passage for Latin by noon tomorrow. I haven't really started. I figured I'd bore you all and tell you about it! This is Apollo's plea to Daphne as she runs from him, attempting to avoid rape.

et "quid, si comantur?" ait. videt igne micantes
sideribus similes oculos, videt oscula, quae non
est vidisse satis; laudat digitosque manusque
bracchiaque et nudos media plus parte lacertos
si qua latent, meliora putat. fugit ocior aura
illa levi neque ad haec revocantis verba resistit
"nympha, recor, Penei, mane! non insequor hostis;
nympha mane! sic agna lupum, six cerba leonem,
sic aquilam penna fugiunt trepidante columbae,
hostes quaeque suos: amor est mihi causa sequendi!"

It means, "and, 'what, if it were arranged?' he said. He sees the fire in her eyes shining like stars, sees her mouth, which is not enough just to see; he praises her fingers and hands and arms, naked halfway up her upper arm. Were they covered, he would think it better. She flees faster than a breeze, and does not stop for his repeated words: "Nymph, I pray you, Peneian one, wait! I don't chase as an enemy! Nymph, wait! Like the lamb flees from the wolf, like deer from a lion, as the dove flees the eagle on trembling wings, those are enemies: love is my reason for following!"

Additionally, I made a delicious curry for dinner tonight. I cheated, I will admit - I've never known how to make a good curry sauce, and so I threw my hands up and bought a small jar of Thai Kitchen yellow curry paste. Worth it? Yes. If you don't want to do this, which I understand, the good news is that I'm pretty sure this dish would be delicious even if you left it out. Sounds strange? I'll try it sometime and post about it, but this is so good I'm not even hesitant to say that I'm going to be eating this a lot more often.

One Pot Split Things Curry
serves either one small person four times, or two large people one time.

1 chicken leg, skin and bones and all (no, don't do this. Use something without bones. Trust me.)
1 smallish lemon
1 c. dried lentils or split peas - I used yellow split peas, I think
1 c. wild rice mix
1 T curry paste
1 clove garlic (though more never hurts), chopped into small pieces
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

1. Fill your kettle and get it started on boiling (enough for probably 8 or 10 cups of tea; I think that's about a litre, but it could be more. I don't know).
2. Saute the chicken leg with canola oil and the juice of half the lemon in a large pot on the stove for a while, until it's browned a bit, burnt a bit, and smells good. When you're thrilled about it, and the water is ready, add the garlic and saute. Before the garlic burns, add the rice and legumes, swish all these around together for a moment or two, and add the water.
3. Add the tablespoon of curry paste and the bay leaf, and give everything a good stir.
4. Let the entire confection simmer on the stove until you're sure you can't wait anymore and it's gloppy and delicious-looking. I let mine do its thing for probably an hour and some.
5. Serve with a generous squeeze of lemon, and salt if you're into that, though it doesn't need it. (It really doesn't. I'm a horrible salt fiend, and I didn't need extra salt.)

Kate

Edited later:
Were I to make this again, I would use a boneless chicken breast instead of the whole chicken leg. This is because, tasty though it is, it is disconcerting to find non-meat pieces of chicken in your stew. While it doesn't bother me all that much, it's still less than ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment